Like clockwork, the weather cooperated for the 57th presidential inauguration with sunny skies and temperatures in the 40s.
After the parade down Pennsylvania Avenue, temperatures began to tumble—and they won't recover for some time.
Northern Virginia will likely see temperatures below freezing through Friday, according to the National Weather Service. Highs on Tuesday through Thursday may not get above 27 degrees.
Northern Virginia will see sunny skies Tuesday, with only a high of 25 degrees and with blustery winds up to 30 MPH, it will feel even chillier.
Wednesday will see much the same, sunny and cold with a high of 25 degrees, but not as windy.
Thursday will also be sunny with the temperatures inching up a few degrees up to 27 degrees.
Snow in the forecast?
In addition to the deep freeze this week, the other big news from the National Weather Service for Northern Virginia: A 60 percent chance of seeing snow and sleet Friday.
The Weather Channel predicts a 70 percent chance of a wintry mix for the area. The Capital Weather Gang gives the area a 30 percent chance of seeing 1 inch of snow Friday.
There will be some thawing over the weekend, and temperatures will break back into the 40s by Monday.