HOUSING GRANT FOR TOLLAND ANNOUNCED Residents can apply for rehab loans through town

State Rep. Bryan Hurlburt along with Governor Dannel P. Malloy announced that Tolland will receive a federal grant to help continue its Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program.

State Representative Bryan Hurlburt, who represents Tolland in the Connecticut General Assembly, along with Governor Dannel P. Malloy announced that Tolland will receive a federal grant to help continue its Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program.


A total of $300,000 awarded from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Small Cities Community Development Block Grant program will provide assistance to low and moderate-income households.


The funding, which is administered through Connecticut’s Department of Economic and Community Development, will be used to address needed septic system, roofing, plumbing and siding repairs as well as structural deficiencies, replacement windows and insulation.


Tolland residents can call 860-871-3648 or visit the town’s Human Services Department online at www.tolland.org/government for more information on the Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program.


“Projects such as this are one of the best ways Connecticut can reinvest in its communities while helping the local economy,” Hurlburt said. “This is also a win for local taxpayers as every dollar that comes back from Washington and the state helps stabilize town property taxes.”


31 Connecticut towns have been awarded a total of $11 million through the program, which targets economic development, affordable housing, and other community revitalization projects. 


This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Emily September 26, 2012 at 04:08 PM
You are being silly now. I never said local communities can't establish laws to govern themselves. If you want to Drive 100mph down my street go ahead, it s a dirt road and you will probably loose your suspension. I am talking specifically about the powers given to the federal govenment.
Emily September 26, 2012 at 04:09 PM
I am 100% sure I could qualify for some of that money. I am also sure I will not be asking for it.
Jim G. September 26, 2012 at 05:28 PM
But you're saying, or at least implying, that 7400 words are enough to detail what the federal government can and can't do. And that the state's rights clause means they can't do anything else, including expand those 7400 words into meaningful workaday laws and regulations. I think that interpretation is a tad narrow.
Steven Jones September 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Jim G., there is no point arguing with someone online who has no interest in changing their point of view. Emily doesn't like it, and she'll insist upon stating that 'til the cows come home because it's already been done and she won't directly benefit from it, or doesn't believe the communal benefit this grant provides is in her personal interest. I hope Emily some day gets a sunnier disposition, but considering her regular comments, I won't be waiting. Good day to you both.
Jim G. September 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Steve, you could have just put a period after "online" there. :) :) :) I continue any time I think there might be a misunderstanding; I stop when it becomes evident there's not.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »