.

Programs for Seniors, a High School Restaurant and Poison Prevention

All of this can be found in and around Tolland today, March 21, 2011

1. According to Weather.com, the forecast for Tolland calls for a high of 43ºF with an 80 percent chance of rain and snow. The overnight low will be 32ºF and mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of precipitation.

2. The Tolland Senior Center's chorus, the Noteables, will be practicing this morning at 10. If you're a senior and you like to sing, why not check them out? New members are always welcome. Feel free to call the center if you'd like more information about the s at 860-870-3730.

3. Another event for residents who are 55 or older is the Tolland Senior Center's , where folks can enjoy a meal for only $3. This program is open to both members and non-members. Just come on by! The center is located at 674 Tolland Stage Road.

4. Today, be sure to check out the story of ! This "restaurant," run by the high school's Advanced Baking and Pastry students, invites area seniors to a luncheon every Friday from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m. Students plan, prepare and serve up some wonderful meals each week and charge a mere $5. Upcoming masterpieces will include a Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with a Quinoa Crust with Chocolate Mousse Pie for dessert, Panko Chicken Cornbread Waffles and Cream Gravy with Strawberry Grits pie for dessert, and many more culinary creations each Friday through June 10. An assorted variety of pastries are sold separately at these restaurant events. Call teacher Lauren DeBlois to make your reservations at 860-870-6818, ext. 235.

5. This week is National Poison Prevention Week in the United States. In Connecticut, our Poison Control Center is located in Farmington at the UConn Health Center. The Connecticut Poison Control Center provides emergency poison information to folks whose loved ones are exposed to toxic substances and to the health care professionals who care for them. No fees are charged for their emergency services, and they are available to all citizens of Connecticut 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The center also provides educational materials and programs to prevent toxic exposures and poisoning. There are even sections on their Web site especially for children, parents, healthcare providers and teachers/educators. Recalls and product safety news are also posted on this site. Also remember to keep these numbers handy: 

  • In a poison emergency, call 1-800-222-1222
  • If you are hearing impaired, call 1-866-218-5372
randellpope March 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM
Starting this year your child (or children) cannot be denied coverage simply because they have a pre-existing health condition. If you don't have insurance for you and your children search "Wise Medical Insurance" online they are the best.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »